Monday, October 21, 2013

How would you deal with this?

For this weeks field placement I mostly spent my time observing and grading papers, but there were some highlights to my day. The first hour I was there I was sitting in the back watching the teacher help the kids find short "i" words like fin and fish. She had them find them in a giant book then come up and circle them, she also had them find "pumpkin chunks" in the book which are letters that combine to make new sounds like "th" and "sh". She even had a little rhyme to go with it. All the kids were really engaged and even those that were misbehaving quickly stopped when she told them. She also helped get them to stay quiet by only choosing the quietest and stillest kids to answer the questions, by the end all of them had gone at least once. Afterwards I had to stay behind with one of the kids while everyone else was going to lunch because she had a dentist appointment she was so cute because as we were waiting she showed me around the classroom telling me about all the different things they have, and she gave me a little paper finger puppet. During lunch I ate in the classroom and all the other teachers came in to talk about lesson plans, it was really awkward because sometimes they would go off topic (like for a while they were talking about how hot Johnny Depp is) and I didn't want to seem like I was eavesdropping. Then I graded papers, I was really careful not to make any mistakes, but I'm always worried that I grade differently than how she would so I end up asking her a lot of questions. After the kids came back we learned that one of the girls had an accident, her mom came to pick her up and I just stood around awkwardly because I didn't know if I should be listening to the conversation between the teacher and mom. Then we went to the nurses office and I once again stood around awkwardly while they discussed this girl because this has been happening for the past two days.This kind of situation is something I have no idea how to deal with, but I'm going to have to learn eventually. After that I helped give some tests for some kids who missed it. My day was great and a little weird, but by far the best part was when one of the girls came up to me and said she liked my dress, also everyone saying goodbye to me. I really love this classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment