Monday, October 7, 2013

The first normal day

So I finally got to have my second week of field placement, and the first time I got to observe what a normal class is like. It was pretty close to what I expected. The second I walked in to the classroom I was attacked by three children giving me hugs. I really didn't know what to do so I just gave them a little pat on the back or head. I was immediately put to work helping kids with their math activity, when a bit of an awkward situation came up. I was doing my rounds around the classroom when this young boy started telling me of his Halloween costume of an army guy, I said some generic positive things about it and Halloween in general while trying to get him to focus on his work when he said that he was going to bring a gun and knife in to go with his costume. I was shocked and tried to explain to him why that wasn't a very good idea and how it might get him into trouble but I don't think he understood. Afterword I watched my teacher go through a reading paper. I like how she reads every question but makes the kids find out the answer. I noticed how she never says anything negative if she calls on a kid and the kid doesn't know the answer she has them call on a friend to help them out. I walked around the room taking notes and observing what was going on and I help correct a kid, I really hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries or being distracting to the students. After the reading exercise she read the kids a story, while teaching them about predicting. She keeps asking the kids to explain to me what the previous lessons were about, like she asked the class to explain to me what it ment to predict things. I really like that, as I hadn't thought about teaching like that. After the story it was lunch time and I ate in a classroom with all the other 1st grade teachers. I felt really awkward but it was interesting to me how they spent most of the lunch period  discussing lesson plans and the like. They even got excited about finding things on Pintrest and finds at local stores. After lunch I spent a while grading papers and helped a kid makeup a test. But by far the best part of my day came right afterward when I got to read the kids a story. It was so much fun, I did voices for all the characters. Mrs. Kieffer seems to be a really good teacher, she really knows her students and which ones need a little extra help and which ones are fine. She answers their questions and when someone starts going off of the lesson, like when some of the kids started talking about her birthday she gives them answers while pushing them back on topic, it's one of those things I didn't think about needing to learn how to do when I become a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment