Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween!

This week was Halloween so there was very little learning going on. I got to my classroom and since there was a two hour delay that day I got to see how the beginning of a day went and despite the fact that all teh kids were wearing crazy costumes it was close to what I expected. The principal came on the speaker and gave announcements and them the Pledge of Allegiance. I really hate that pledge there's something really creepy about making little kids mindlessly recite a promise to no matter what serve our country before they even understand what it means. Afterwards we immediately went on a bus to a local nursing home where the kid were to put on a little show for the seniors there, I think it went pretty well. They were all singing cute Halloween songs, and while we were on the bus I was able to talk to some of the kids and get to know them a little better. After that there was lunch and some basic learning going on while I graded papers. My teacher gave me a bag (and recipe) for the caramel puffs she made for the students, it was really cool. There was indoor recess today because it was raining and for the first part of it my teacher and I were out of the room. While she was making lesson plans with the other teachers I was folding and organizing Time Kids magazines. When we got back she was complimented by another teacher about how good the kids were behaving and she told all the kids good job, which I think was really sweet. Next the kids had free time while  parents trickled in for the Halloween party. I was helping a girl get through a particularly hard book about Americas history, and right before the party started I had to leave. I cannot express my sadness about having to leave right before the best part. It really shocks me sometimes how much my teacher trusts the kids to be alone. She basically just tells me to come with her and we're gone. I know there's some kind of staff member who kinda keeps an eye on the kids but its still pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment